The saying is true, “not all superheroes wear capes!” And here at OnShift, we call those superheroes long-term care and senior living schedulers.
This year, we were thrilled to receive a record number of nominations for our annual OnShift Scheduler of the Year competition, which really proves that there are indeed superheroes among us.
OnShift had the opportunity to meet one of this year’s Schedulers of the Year award winners, Isabel – or Izzy, for short – Ruiz from Orchard Villa this week. We were cordially invited to join in the surprise celebration that the Orchard Villa team planned for Izzy – which was complete with cake, confetti, balloons and flowers…all things fit for a very deserving super scheduler. The outpouring of love and support she received during the celebration was unbelievable – her whole family was there for the surprise.
Izzy’s team members raved about her and how she’s been a tremendous asset to the community for the last 14 years. Even the residents joined in to share the wonderful things Izzy does in her role, which goes to show her super powerful presence is felt at all levels of the community.
Her nomination cited not only her ability to manage the schedule, but also mentioned how she goes above and beyond to cultivate strong relationships with employees. She even uses an innovative approach to collect staff feedback and increase engagement with her “Riddles of the Week,” which she sends out using OnShift’s messaging feature.
Izzy is in good company as one of this year’s superhero schedulers, a group that was praised for their special “staffing powers,” their dedication to their community’s mission and their ability to “come to the rescue” in a multitude of ways. Several were applauded for their instrumental role in reducing labor costs, boosting employee engagement and leading the charge in onboarding new staff to OnShift Schedule.
I could go on for days about the invaluable work that this scheduling squad does on a daily basis, but I will stop myself there. Without further ado, please join me in celebrating this year’s Senior Care Superheroes, the 2018 OnShift Schedulers of the Year:
- Kristen Bantle, Father Baker Manor
- Fenecia Blaylock, Transitional Health Services of Wayne
- Ryan Frazier, Commonwealth Senior Living at Cedar Bluff
- Cindy Gardner, Brandon Woods at Alvamar
- Melissa Hennings, Good Samaritan Society - Pipestone
- Lashunda King, Harbour's Edge a Lifespace Community
- Candyce Moore, Westchester Village of Lenexa
- Pam O’Neill, Belmont Village of Buffalo Grove
- Isabel Ruiz, Orchard Villa
- Heather Whitt, The Legacy Living and Rehabilitation Center
Some highlights from the winning nominations:
- “Our scheduler has been instrumental in providing overtime management this past year. Schedules are timely and HPPD and census numbers are kept up to date for proper reporting and data analysis. This year overtime has been less than 1.5%!”
- “Our employees love being up to date on staffing and scheduling. Any confusion or frustration has dropped dramatically due to our scheduler’s implementation and championing of OnShift.”
- “Development of templates and on-call schedules is imperative for staff satisfaction. Our scheduler is sensitive to the work life balance for our staff and works with them to create a template for self-scheduling in OnShift.”
- “To help stay on top of our hiring and staffing needs, our scheduler organizes daily meetings with upper management. Our scheduler has taken on part of the interview process to ensure we are always hiring for the schedule we specifically need, which helps lower costs and increase employee satisfaction and retention.”
- “I have seen our scheduler take a shift that is understaffed and get it filled within 4 hours. Our scheduler is an amazing employee and makes staffing miracles happen on a regular basis - certainly our Scheduler of the Century!”
I’d like to thank all the scheduling superheroes who save the day each and every day to ensure patients and residents receive the best care possible. OnShift is honored to work with you in partnership and proud to support your efforts in staff scheduling and labor management.