Nothing screams anticipation and excitement like March Madness. Personally, I can’t get enough of it! From the underdogs to the upsets, the road to the Final Four never disappoints.
As I was glued to the TV watching UNC take on Gonzaga (go Tar Heels!), I couldn’t help but think about another group of champions that also reign this time of the year: OnShift’s Scheduler of the Year Award winners.
I see a lot of similarities between scheduling and labor management and the game of basketball. You need to have the right line-up, coach and plays to be successful. On a championship labor management team, your staff scheduler is your ultimate utility player – running the plays and stepping into position to win. This year’s group of winners is no exception!
Last week I had the opportunity to meet one of this year’s Scheduler of the Year award winners, Jennifer Thompson from Marklund. Her team members raved about Jennifer and how she’s a tremendous asset to the community. That made it even more fun to join the surprise celebration that the Marklund team planned for Jennifer. The outpouring of love and support she received during the celebration was unbelievable. Many of the staff members and residents shared with me the wonderful things Jen does for their community and how dedicated she is to its success.
Jennifer is in good company as one of this year’s championship schedulers. They are truly MVPs. I'm thrilled to announce the best and brightest staff schedulers in long-term care and senior living. Please join me in celebrating this year’s Dream Team, the 2017 OnShift Schedulers of the Year:
- Jamia Bellinger, Bradford County Manor
- Lisa Birenbaum, New Perspective Senior Living
- Gretchen Gaughran, Essex Meadows1
- Erica Gomez, Hobbs Health Care Center
- Jeffrey Kelley, Lanfair Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing Care
- Kris Kiegel, Northwood Retirement Community
- Jennifer Thompson, Marklund2
Being from Cleveland, I know the player-coach role is an important one. This year, OnShift also recognizes an individual who demonstrates superior labor management leadership with the “Leadership Award.”
- Dianne Dagg, Royal Health Group
This year’s group of Scheduler of the Year nominees is particularly impressive. We received hundreds of nominations! Each submission detailed how a staff scheduler has made a significant impact through staffing excellence, work ethic, dedication and compassion for those their community serves. One of the themes I noticed was how each scheduler is a key player to the overall success of their organization. Numerous nominations included proclamations that their community would not be the same without their scheduler’s commitment and hard work to schedule staff properly each and every day.
Here are some highlights from the winning nominations:
- “She is the epitome of the ultimate employee. Despite staffing shortages, she has continued to impress everyone with her leadership and commitment to providing the best possible care for our clients. We would not be where we are today as a facility without her influence.”
- “Not only does our scheduler utilize OnShift to the maximum potential at our community, but she also assists other locations by training, troubleshooting and mentoring their community's use of OnShift. Since implementation, our community turnover rate has improved by 20% and occupancy is at 100%!”
- “Without our scheduler’s drive and focus, we would have runaway labor and overtime costs. We enjoy and maintain a five-star rating and routinely win company awards all because of our staffing. Our scheduler is every administrator’s dream.”
- “Our scheduler creates an environment of teamwork and openly communicates with staff using OnShift messaging. Our scheduler always works to keep the building properly staffed while ensuring overtime is below budget.”
- “Her leadership is critical when dealing with crises, last minute changes and weekend needs. Our facility schedulers view her as a stalwart who is always available and able to solve the most challenging problems.”
- “Our scheduler is smart and has excellent rapport with employees. We have enjoyed the highest staffing percentages in many years. He is also aware and highlights the overtime early in the labor cycle to make any necessary adjustments so we can enjoy the lowest possible overtime percentages."
- “Understanding that good communication is essential to our team efficiency and morale, our scheduler uses OnShift to communicate with our team members keeping them up to date with community happenings, in-services and meetings.”
I’d like to thank each and every single scheduler out there for all that you do to staff properly so your patients and residents can ultimately receive the care that they deserve. OnShift is honored to work with you in partnership and proud to support your efforts in staff scheduling and labor management.
1Gretchen Gaughran, Essex Meadows - 2017 Scheduler of the Year award winner
2Jennifer Thompson, Marklund (photo collage) - 2017 Scheduler of the Year award winner